www.robertgraves.org Forum Index www.robertgraves.org
Robert Graves Online Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robert Graves and Dr W, W. Wagstaffe- The Meaning of Dreams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Biography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
rhymer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Robert Graves and Dr W, W. Wagstaffe- The Meaning of Dreams Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a volunteer with the Amnesty International bookshop in Newcastle upon Tyne. We have had a donation of a book by Robert Graves (1924) The meaning of Dreams. It is a signed copy to W. W Wagstaffe of 62 Woodstock Road, Oxford. It is not dated but is a first edition.

I should like to find out how Graves was involved with Wagstaffe. I have been able to ascertain that William W Wagstaffe was a medical doctor> he studied at Oxford where he made a study of Vesalius and other early anatomists. He graduated in 1911 and went to St Thomas's in London where his father had been a famous surgeon. He worked for the Red Cross in the Balkan War but arrived to late to be of assistance. Subsequently, he was a medical doctor in WWI and was awarded an OBE.

He published 2 articles on trauma to the head ( Adie.W.J and W.W.Wagstaffe - 'A note on a series of gunshot wounds to the head, with a statistical consideration of the results obtained.' London HM Stat. Office 1918. Also 'The incidence of traumatic epilepsy after gunshot wounds to the head.' The Lancet 1928 (2) 861-862. It is also know that Adie had been a medical doctor first in the Northamptonshire regiment involved in the retreat from Mons. Then tranferring to the Leicestershire regiment was in charge of the 7th General hospital where he managed the treatment of head injuries.

After the War Wagstaffe he returned to St Thomas's and settled in Oxford in 1921 where he combined a private practice with part-time lecturing in anatomy. In 1924 he was elected an assistant surgeon at the Radcliffe Infirmary and became a full surgeon in 1927 - dealing with the ear, nose and throat department. He died in 1928 from peritonitis following an appendicitis at the age of 42.

I am interested in trying to establish whether Graves had contact with Wagstaffe during the War, or at Oxford - if he received any medical treament from him. Also I would be grateful to receive any other information.

Obviously, we would like to sell the book for Amnesty intternational - if we are able to establish any greater provenance for the book there will be more interest in its sale.

With regards

Stuart Gardner
Books for Amnesty
Unit 5
92 Westgate Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
NE1 4AE

amnesty_ncl@yahoo.com

Tel: 07747084891
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Biography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: