www.robertgraves.org Forum Index www.robertgraves.org
Robert Graves Online Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

class and class conflict

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Good-Bye To All That
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
rhymer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: class and class conflict Reply with quote

what does robert graves say about the upper middle/middle classes and class conflict in 'goodbye to all that'?
ian
bard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate, I think you need to narrow your question down a little.

If you want to read Graves' opinions on class you should probably have a look at his and Alan Hodge's "The Long Weekend"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gibbite
rhymer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading The Long Weekend right now. It is an odd sort of a book. It has the feel of (self appointed) expert testimony rather than a history book.

The main feeling I come away with is detachment from society, a total lack of agape. Such elequent writing devoid of empathy has given me nightmares!

None the less it remains a book of worthwhile trivia - every few pages you get the pleasure of going 'hmm!' as a small piece of linguistic or cultural heritage is explained in context.

I haven't been very positive about it, that's not fair, 410 pages in I don't regret reading it. It is this lack of charity, lack of agape which fascinates me. It is something which I did not take away from the fiction, nor even from Good Bye to All That.

Is it something which is evident in the poetry or other work? Is it something dealt with in his biographies?

Cheers,
Andrew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.robertgraves.org Forum Index -> Good-Bye To All That All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: